Re: Question about other debuginfo reduction possibilities

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 03:46:07PM +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> The only major difference is that there are DWARF2 references (DW_FORM_ref4)
> across compilation units (and these references are even relative to the offset
> of the compilation unit header).  Right now I found out it is a violation of
> TIS-DWARF-2.0, page 73, keyword "reference":
> 	The offset must refer to an entry within that same compilation unit.

In addition to what Jakub said, you can't use DW_FORM_ref4 this way.
Consumers don't expect inter-compilation-unit references here.  Use
DW_FORM_ref_addr instead.

Alan posted initial patches for editing dwarf2 information in binutils
a while ago.  You'd have to do something very differently to change the
content of DIEs in the way you need to do here... but they might still
be a useful starting point.  Assuming you want to do this at some point
in binutils and not in elfutils; elfutils isn't really on-topic for
this list.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery