Compilation/Link question

This is not an issue with binutils as such but more of a question.

- The current version of our server applications compiles, links and is
deployed on Linux Enterprise Server release 3 running on a Pentium 6
(i686) chip using gcc 3.2.3 20030502 and ld 2.14.90.0.4 20030523. We
link against several 3rd party libraries as well. We want to port to
Linux AS 4 running on an Itanium chip.

- I recompile our code successfully but when I try to link against our
3rd party libraries I get the following warnings though the shared
library output is created:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file
`/usr/viking380/libvfm.a(<object file name>)' is incompatible with
ia64-elf64 output

- I have tried using the -format and --oformat switches for ld to try to
get a clean link but to no avail.

- The 3rd party libraries have not been built on an Itanium box.

I know that g++ has the capability to cross-compile for multiple chip
architectures, however this has not been done for the libraries in
question. If I run objdump -a on one of the object files, the output is:

objdump: <object file name>: File format is ambiguous
objdump: Matching formats: elf32-i386-freebsd elf32-i386

The long and short of this is that I cannot compile for one chip
architecture and expect to link on a platform using a different chip
architecture, regardless of any ld tweaks I might attempt. Is this
correct? It seems obvious but I need to be sure I am not missing
something obvious.

Appreciate any help.

otherwise confidential information.  Unauthorized review, forwarding, printing,
be unlawful.  If you received this message in error, or have reason to believe
notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to Central.SecurityOffice@shs.siemens.com

Thank you