Re: Recommended target for HPUX 11.0

> My goal is to build the GCC v3.4.5 compiler on my HPUX 11.0 (PA-RISC)
> box.

You didn't indicate which CPU kernel you are running.  The are two
main variants of the PA-RISC architecture: PA 1.x and 2.0.  The 1.x
architecture can be 1.0 or 1.1.  Very few 1.0 machines are still
running.  The 2.0 architecture supports supports 32 and 64-bit code
assuming that you are running a wide kernel.  The variants are all
detected automatically by configure based on the kernel in use and
whether CC is a 32 or 64-bit compiler.  It's most likely that you
want one of the following two targets:

  hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00
  hppa64-hp-hpux11.00

The former target requires a 32-bit compiler and the latter a 64-bit
compiler.  In the case of GCC, these have to be built separately.

If you are running a PA 1.1 machine, then you probably want

  hppa1.1-hp-hpux11.00

If you are running a narrow PA 2.0 kernel:

  hppa2.0-hp-hpux11.00

For all the 32-bit options, the default is to generate code for PA 1.1.
The only difference is the default scheduling model.  So, it's not going
to make a lot of difference which option is selected.  There are '-m'
options which allow these defaults to be changed for compilations.

> Running the default configuration fails for 'ld' because the
> hppa2.0-*-*-* target is not supported for the linker.

As Steve indicated, 'ld' isn't supported in binutils for hppa2.0-hp-hpux*.
The requirements of the SOM object format can't be easily implemented
if at all using the binutils BFD library.  Just use the HP linker.
Make sure that you use a recent HP linker patch.  However, the last two
patches may be buggy.

> * Given that I wish to build BinUtils using GCC v3.3.6, which (if any)
>   of the targets below is the recommended target:
>       - hppa*64*-*-linux-gnu*
>       - hppa*64*-*
>       - hppa*-*-linux-gnu*
>       - hppa*-*-*elf*

These are all wrong for HP-UX unless you want to build a cross compiler.

> * Are there other configuration settings which are critical for the
> build
>   of BinUtils to succeed for the target recommended above?

The GCC testresult list contains many HP-UX build summaries and the
configure options used for the builds.  See

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)