How to recover from symbol lookup error ?

Hi
    I am facing a problem which is as follows:

I have converted  an PE file (DLL) of windows into ELF format (shared
object). This DLL contains some functions which are used by the
application on windows as well as linux but when the application on
linux is executed it gives a following error :

'application name'  symbol lookup error   :  'app name ' undefined
symbol 'symbol name'

But when i load that shared object inside the application  by dlopen
it gives error :
nonloadable sections

Also i havent included the debug section in my application (when
converted from PE to ELF)
So no question of debugging . So i included one printf statement just
before the function call ( symbol imported from shared object) in
application. When executed ,it runs upto the printf statement after
that it terminates and gives the error of non loadable sections found.

Can anybody help ????

--
regards
ashwani