Re: ld fails to relocate relative to local symbols?

"Dave Korn" <dave.korn@artimi.com> writes:

> On 01 February 2006 03:57, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 07:50:18PM -0800, Paul Lalonde wrote:
> >> Can you point me to the document that documents that one?
> >
> > The ELF gABI (the g is for global); you can find a copy on SCO's web
> > site, they still maintain the master copies of these standards.
>
>   Umm, is that safe?  If I read their website and then implement an ELF library/abi-conformant widget/whatever, will they claim it's
> now contaminated with their IP and I must license it from them?  Or have they made the spec public?

In fact I think one of their claims was on a header file defining
standard constants, though I don't recall if it was ELF related
constants or not.

In any case, there is no meaningful alternative on the horizon.  We
all implement ELF now (except Apple), and ELF is based on specs for
which SCO now owns the rights (unless Novell does--I'm not sure what
the status is on that).  We could switch if we had to, but it would be
a pointless exercise to switch before we are forced.  At the present
rate it doesn't seem like SCO will be around for more than a couple
more years.

Ian