Re: How to build a cross-ld that behaves like a native ld?

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 05:10:09PM -0500, Jon Ringle wrote:
> Let me try to explain some background in a nutshell (more info at
> http://scratchbox.org):
>
> scratchbox provides a chroot environment that gives you enough tools to cross
> build a system from source. It wraps the execution of binaries so that they
> are run either by CPU emulation (QEMU) or marshalling to a target device if
> the binary is not a native one (I believe this is done via binfmt_misc). When
> you first create a scratchbox you effectively have an empty / directory. So,
> when the cross toolchain is used at first, the linker needs to search the
> target library path as specified in --with-sysroot. However, as I start to
> build things and populate the chroot'd /lib and /usr/lib, I also need the
> toolchain to search these as well.

The one doesn't follow from the other.

Is the toolchain you're building supposed to run on the host, targeting
the scratchbox setup, or within an "unpopulated" chroot as a target
(emulated/remote executed) binary?  If the former, I can't see why it
should target /lib; if the latter, I can't see why it should target
/path/to/box/lib.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery