RE: cross toolchain vs. info files

Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Dave Korn wrote:
>> Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
>>>
>>> Make sure you override the "right" target; that it "works"
>>> isn't enough.
>>   For instance, I don't know what you mean by the "right" target,
>
> One that is documented as "define this rule to do X, overriding
> the default rule to do X".  If it's not documented, go with the
> obvious choice...
>
> brgds, H-P

  I haven't found any place in the automake docs that issues statements with
anything like that degree of clarity.  The only advice I could find was in the
"Extending..." section, where it says that you can override any of the
supplied rules by specifying your own in the .am file, and that this might or
might not be a good idea, for reasons it declines to go into...  :-(

    cheers,
      DaveK