Re: target=sh-elf build error

Hello Nick,

On Dec 27 , 2005, at 18:49 , Nick Clifton wrote:
Hi Anders,

When trying to build a toolchain for the sh-elf target, the build stops with the following error message:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../src/gprof -I. -D_GNU_SOURCE - DDEBUG -I../bfd -I../../src/gprof/../include -I../../src/gprof/../ bfd -I../../src/gprof/../intl -I../intl -I. -DLOCALEDIR="\"/Users/ anders/local/share/locale\"" -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes - Wmissing-prototypes -Werror -g -O2 -c ../../src/gprof/mips.c
gcc -g -O2 -c -o flat_bl.o ../../src/gprof/flat_bl.m
Thinking about this some more, I would guess that flat_bl.m is attempted to be compiled with GCC has something to do with *.m being the default extension for Objective-C. Disabling gprof from configure lets the build complete, but I have no idea on how to fix the actual problem.
The Makefile in your gprof build directory should contain a rule to translate this flat_bl.m file into a flat_bl.c file, which is then compiled as normal. For some unknown reason it would appear that this .m to .c translation step is not taking place. Perhaps it has something to do with the version of make that you are using ?

You're right, there is a .m.c rule, and if I delete the generated .c files from the source directory they are regenerated, but the .m files still seem to be caught by the built-in implicit rules added by Apple to their version of make. Building binutils with "make -r" seems to work, so I'm happy with that. Since this is not an issue with FSF binutils it's off-topic so I'll drop the thread here, unless someone has any other suggestions. FWIW, the relevant Apple patch can be seen here:
<http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.4.3/gnumake-110/ patches/patch-default.c>

Regards,
Anders Montonen