Re: [RFH] How to make ld use the LDEMUL_PLACE_ORPHAN hook.

Hi Björn,

For using banked memory for the hc12 port I'd like to use the

LDEMUL_PLACE_ORPHAN=gld${EMULATION_NAME}_place_orphan

Question is now: What is going wrong. How do I make ld use the LDEMUL_PLACE_ORPHAN target hook for those sections not showing up in the linker script file?

LDEMUL_PLACE_ORPHAN is used by the ld/emultempl/elf32.em file, so if this file is not being included in the build of the emulation routines the definition will have no effect.

Find the script file in ld/emulparams which is loaded for your HC12 target. Does it define TEMPLATE_NAME=elf32 and EXTRA_EM_FILE=<foo> where <foo> is the name if the file where you have placed the LDEMUL_PLACE_ORPHAN definition ? If not then this is the problem. If ti does then try placing some debugging in elf32.em to see if the default version of the function is being used instead.