Re: Is having --enable-targets=all undocumented normal?

On Friday 14 October 2005 04:48 am, Vincent Rubiolo wrote:
> Hello Ian,
>
> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> [...]
>
> > It is documented in binutils/README, which is where all the binutils
> > build instructions are found.  That file is referenced by the top
> > level README file.
>
> Thanks for the pointer. It is indeed documented there in details.
> However, a more explanative reference should be given as not everyone
> builds from a unified tree. I myself missed that document, only looking
> for build instructions in the top-level README file.

the toplevel README is shared between projects ... it already hints at reading
subdir README files (noting binutils/README)

but i guess you want something more explicit like 'for full build options, you
should read ./subdir/README files and run ./subdir/configure --help'

> > I think it would be reasonable to put those instructions somewhere
> > else, but where?
>
> Mmm, I cannot really state about that. I was only referring to the fact
> that the option should be printed by the configure help output (so that
> intrigued people can look back at the documentation to know more).

the toplevel configure is shared among projects (binutils, gdb, etc...) so
putting subdir options in configure would confuse other projects ... binutils
is really a collection of tools and each one has its own configure

so if you want a list of all configure options, you have to
run ./{binutils,ld,gas,bfd,etc...}/configure --help and read
{binutils,ld,gas,bfd,etc...}/README
-mike