Using objcopy to replace elftoaout

I'm trying to get rid of using the elftoaout tool in my silo and linux kernel builds, since the tool is not being maintained.

The problem I have is .rodata gives me errors in the conversion.
BFD: arch/sparc64/boot/vmlinux.aout: can not represent section `.rodata' in a.out object file format

In my research I found this
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2001/04/04/0006.html

Which basically said the elftoaout converts symbols to .text.
"elftoaout(1) folds .rodata and .data section into text"

How can I accomplish this using objcopy?

--
----
Jim Gifford