Re: Binutils and LynxOS 2.3

2005/8/15, Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au>:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 05:47:12PM -0500, Roberto Cabral wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using LynxOS 2.3 and I'm trying to update the compiler and tools
> > to the latest version (binutils 2.16.1 / GCC-4). The system has GCC
> > 2.95.3 native running fine.
> >
> > I build the binutils and then I install them and there are no
> > problems. Then when I build a test program with GCC 2.95, the program
> > does not run (it does build/link). It seems like the system does not
> > recognize the executable format.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> > The target for this platform is still supported?
>
> You didn't say which target, powerpc or ix86.  No matter, it looks like
> both of these targets have been switched over to use ELF rather than
> COFF.  You should probably keep using an older binutils with your old
> gcc.
>
> --
> Alan Modra
> IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre

Thanks for your response.

In fact, I'm using LynxOS 2.3 with x86-coff (sorry, I forgot to
mention that). The problem rises in that we want to run a program
written in java in native mode on machines that have this version of
the system (there is no chance to let me upgrade the OS). So, we are
trying to get GCC 4 compiling for this system.

If you (or anyone) can tell me if this should work on this system,
please let me how to do it. Or if this system is not supported for the
new binutils, also let me know (or where do I need to look for add the
support for the target).

Thanks,

Roberto Cabral
Correo: roberto.cabral( at )gmail.com