Re: arm-elf-ld 2.16.1 crash at bfd/elf32-arm.c:5536

Hi Shaun,

I replaced ld 2.16.1 with ld 2.15 (only ld, not all of binutils) and
it does not crash in this case.

Not surprising since the mapping symbol ordering code was not in 2.15.

It's a fairly large project and I haven't been able to boil it down to
a small test case yet, but here's the offending line and the
backtrace. I hope it's useful.

Sorry - I had a quick look at the code, but it appears to be good. So we really are going to need a test case that can reproduce the problem.

Either that or maybe you could do some debugging for us ? It looks like bad data is being placed into the section's map array or else the section has never had its target specific data pointer initialised correctly. Can you find out the answers to these questions:

* Which section is being processed when the seg fault occurs ?
* What is the value for elf32_arm_section_data() for that section ?
* Was the map for this section ever bfd_zalloc()ed by elf32_arm_new_section_hook() or bfd_realloc()ed by elf32_arm_output_symbol_hook() ?
* Are their other values in the map array, and if so are they valid ? (ie could something else be stomping on this, correctly allocated and initialised, memory).