[OT] Emit OPD reloc (HPUX compatibility)

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:14:31AM -0600, Grant Grundler wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:21:58AM -0400, John David Anglin wrote:
> > >From my standpoint, I would like to see the same behavior for both
> > 32 and 64-bit links when hppa linux supports both 32 and 64-bit
> > user spaces.
>
> Yeah, that would make sense.
>
> >   The original linux implementation was modelled on hpux
> > but over the years we have found that hpux compatibility isn't
> > important.
>
> When I first got involved in parisc-linux in 1999, there was
> an interest in commercializing parisc-linux. That would
> mean investing several million dollars per year on a team
> to support/test parisc-linux *and* compatibility (where possible)
> with hpux so customers could run smaller apps on both.
> HP chose not to do that (it was a very rational decision
> though personally disappointing).  parisc-linux did not get
> commercialized and the developer community around parisc-linux
> is not interested in HPUX compatibility.
>
> If someone is interested in HPUX application compatibility,
> they better start providing parisc-linux kernel patches this year.
> An ABI compatibility event in the tool chain would be sufficient
> reason for me to rip out the broken HPUX compatibility
> support currently in the parisc-linux source tree.
> So far, I've lobbied to keep HPUX app support in the tree with
> the hope we could someday run the HPUX X11 server (3D HW Accel!).
> But the right people haven't volunteered to make that work.

This is completely orthogonal, but I think that supporting the HPUX X11
server is a pipe dream.

Simple HPUX applications will run. Anything more than that is going to
require a *lot* of work. And a lot of documentation that will never be
made available.

My personal goal is to be as compatible with other linux ports as
possible, offering everything that they also offer.

e.g. TLS, NPTL ... and more.

c.