Re: More ld testsuite tweaks

Hi Zack,

Not really no.  If it is a genuine bug it ought to be fixed.  If it
cannot be fixed, or you do not have the time to fix it, then the
reason for the failure at least ought to be documented in the comment.
If you do not know why it is failing and you do not try to track it
down then you may well missing an opportunity to uncover a problem
which is not just specific to the arm-epoc-pe toolchain but possibly
all arm toolchains and maybe even every toolchain.

I did try to track it down, but got nowhere. (I'm still not very good
at tracing binutils' internal logic.) Since I posted that patch, I've
determined that it is a general PECOFF problem, but I know no more
than that.

Alan Modra already approved the (general PECOFF) xfail. I'd prefer
not to take it back out again.

No it is fine. The reply above was sent before I saw your modified post which addressed the problem in a broader fashion.

Over on the gcc side, we've found that
having a baseline state of no unexpected failures is a very desirable
thing - it means you can have confidence that any FAILs that show up
in testing are your fault.

True - but I would prefer that we achieve such a state for binutils by fixing the existing bugs rather than just suppressing the tests that reveal them. (Actually I would prefer that for gcc too... :-) The problem I have found is that once a bug has been XFAILed in the testsuite it is left and ignored until it trips up a user in the real world and they report it. I would prefer to never hear from users because they never encounter bugs. (Rather than because they never use the binutils because they are so buggy...)