Re: Question about another IA64 HP-UX build problem

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 11:16, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> My question is, why is this the only use of getc_unlocked in binutils?

The code has been there since 2001-12-04.  It was first posted here
    http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2001-10/msg00499.html
Have you ever tried building this stuff on ia64-hpux before?  It is
present since at least binutils-2.13; I didn't try looking back any
farther than that.

It is part of Jakub's string section merging code.  Also, it is part of
the large file support.  I can see how one might care about performance
here if you have an object file larger than 2GB and you are trying to do
string merging on it.

getc_unlocked isn't used anywhere else in binutils simply because no one
else has found a need for it, or perhaps, the idea of using it hasn't
occurred to anyone else yet.