Re: Using a shared library to partly replace an archive library - ld changed behaviour

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 09:51:50AM +0100, Graham Hudspith wrote:
> H. J. Lu wrote:
>

> >It is a combination of ld and ld.so. Weak symbols are treated as
> >strong when DSO is involved. If you want a DSO to override a symbol
> >in an archive, you have to make sure that the .o file which contains
> >the symbol can ONLY be used to resolve that symbol. In your case,
> >bar.o defines both foo and bar. Linker sees foo when it tries to
> >resolve bar.
> >

> Thanks for the swift reply!
>
> From what I can gather from your reply, it seems that any fix involving
> just OUR shared library is not going to be possible. Changes to the
> original package that builds the archive library are required.

Can you try one thing for me?

1. Build and run your original test on RH9.
2. Send me your output on RH9.
3. Copy the binaries to FC3.
4. Run the same binaries, which are built on RH9, on FC3.
5. Send me your output on FC3.

H.J.