Re: PATCH: objcopy.c: redefine-sym-specific for archive files

Hi Daniel,

If an archive file (e.g. libc.a) consists of more than one object file (e.g, a.o & b.o) each containing a definition for a symbol named 'foo', objcopy --redefine-sym foo=bar libc.a will redefine both symbols.

This might not always be the desired behavior. The attached patch adds the --redefine-sym-specific option to object copy. Its usage is

Why add a new switch ? Why not simply extend the syntax accepted by the --redefine-sym switch so that if a colon is present it behaves as per your new switch ?

Also - with a patch like this that adds a new feature, we really need an FSF copyright assignment in place before we can accept the patch. Would you be interested in completing such an assignment ?

I did not include a version for reading these from a file, as that
> would require either 'generalizing' add_redefine_syms_file() or
'cloning' that function, and I though such a decision should be left to the maintainers.

Actually I would definitely encourage breaking out the code from add_redefine_syms_file, generalizing it and making it available to other switches which might benefit.