Re: Use of as_fatal

>I fixed the as_fatal() which was tripping up the macro dot testcases.
>Patch below.

Thanks.

>While macro dot appears to be fixes on Sparc, the new macro purge testcase
>seems to hang infinitely.  As far as I can tell it is trying to expand macros
>over and over for some reason.  I thought initially this was caused
>by tc-sparc.c:sparc_ip()'s modification of the string it is given,
>yet tests of making sparc_ip() not do this didn't fix the problem.

Hmm, that sounds odd. The test expands and purges 26**4 macros, to check that the purging reclaims the memory used for the macro definition; there's certainly some memory implicitly used elsewhere that can't be reclaimed, so it still shows an increasing memory usage over the time it runs. On the EM64T system I used to test this, it takes far less than a minute to complete (without the late addition of --hash-size it took several minutes), so I'd expect other systems, unless equipped with very little memory, to be able to cope with this test, too (without the purging, the loss of memory was in the range of gigabytes, so especially on 32-bit boxes it would complete only after a very long time of heavy swapping, if at all). So I guess the question regarding your observation is whether it indeed hangs (which I can't imagine) or just makes very slow progress (and if so, for what reason).

Jan