Re: [patch] MIPS: Fix synthesized doubleword transfers (ping)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 cgd@broadcom.com wrote:

> > I suppose bad things could happen if you composed an aligned
> > address from an unaligned symbol and an unaligned offset,
> > but is that allowed?
>
> yes, at least as far as the ISA is concerned.

 For any ISA actually -- that MIPS IV limitation on address bases and
displacements was essentially a hoax -- AFAIK, no MIPS IV processor has
implemented it (including the R8000) and it's been explicitly removed for
the MIPS64 ISA.  Besides, it would have broken binary compatibility with
MIPS II and MIPS III anyway.

 It was probably meant as a way to allow some address calculation
optimisation, which has never actually happened.

  Maciej