Re: [commit] Fix ENABLE_NLS; Was .... use ../intl/ when present

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 04:21:17PM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> And finally, [msgfmt]: BFD barfed vis:
>   make  all-recursive
>   Making all in doc
>   Making all in po
>   file=/home/cygnus/cagney/BINUTILS/src/bfd/po/`echo fr | sed
> 's,.*/,,'`.gmo  && rm -f $file && PATH=../src:$PATH msgfmt -o $file
> /home/cygnus/cagney/BINUTILS/src/bfd/po/fr.po
>   msgfmt: not found
>   *** Error code 127
>   Stop in /home/cagney/BINUTILS/native/bfd/po.
>
> As you can see GDB is building fine out of CVS.  BINUTILS on the other
> hand has trouble - it can only be built if msgfmt is installed (intl/
> doesn't include this).  (Mark, suspecting something like this is why I
> asked that you use a snapshot - it should at least avoid that).

I'm not sure why you feel that this makes GDB "superior" in any regard.
The reason this works for GDB is that GDB doesn't need msgfmt yet.
Because it doesn't have any catalogs.  Needing msgfmt available at
build-from-CVS time seems to be pretty common for GNU packages; GCC
even politely documents the requirement to have gettext available
to modify GCC.

> PS: It's worth nothing that the proposal to upgrade src/intl/ is
> currently blocked by BINUTILS.  It can't be scheduled until after the
> next BINUTILS has branched.

No, it's not worth noticing.  I find it laughably unlikely that, even
as slow as I may be to get the next release moving, anyone would want
to touch src/intl/ before the branch is created.  If it were to happen,
I'd just create the branch early.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz