Re: PATCH: --sysroot-suffix

On Jan 18, 2005, Richard Sandiford <rsandifo@redhat.com> wrote:

> Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:
>> There seems to be plenty of precedent for --argument=value in GNU ld,
>> but the documentation says:
>>
>> Arguments  to  multiple-letter  options  must  either  be
>> separated from the option name by an equals sign, or be given as
>> separate arguments immediately following the option that
>> requires them.  For example, --trace-symbol foo and
>> --trace-symbol=foo are equivalent.  Unique abbreviations of
>> the names of multiple-letter options are accepted.
>>
>> I always use the space, personally, so I'd be pretty confused by the
>> dummy option handling; how about supporting that too?

> It's much harder to do that in gcc though, and it's not really
> consistent with gcc option handling, which usually enforces the
> "--arg=value" form.

But that's a bug in GCC.  GNU tools are supposed to handle both
forms.

Also, I'd value command-line handling consistency of a tool in itself
over consistency with other tools.  I.e., if GNU ld handles both
forms in general, let's make it handle both in this particular case,
even if GCC doesn't handle them both.

A counter-argument would get me to bring up the fact that GCC handles
-fwhatever as equivalent to --whatever, so how come the
counter-argument doesn't push for -fsysroot= as well? :-)