Re: PATCH: --sysroot-suffix

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Richard Sandiford wrote:
> I never tried it for native configurations, so I don't know for sure
> that there is a problem.  But I was worried if we didn't have this
> restriction, people would expect passing --sysroot=/foo to a non-
> sysrooted toolchain to have exactly the same meaning as configuring
> with --with-sysroot=/foo.

I know *I* would. ;-)

>  That isn't going to be true without further
> surgery because --with-sysroot affects the default search path.  (see
> ld/genscripts.sh, for example.)

For that specific example, IMHO it's certainly fine to require
COMPILE_IN for targets where --sysroot should work out of the
box -- or of course that the user has moved the scripts to the
right place.  It's not a requirement of --sysroot to make sure
stuff is in the place pointed at.

> But to be honest, the main blocker for me is that I don't really know
> what --sysroot is supposed to do on a non-sysrooted toolchain.

Um, the same as one configure --with-sysroot? :-)

Having said that, I'm fine with documenting the restriction and
getting a solution that doesn't require --with-sysroot later.

I'm also ok with making this a cross-toolchain-only option
(independently).

FWIW.

brgds, H-P