Re: Branches in CVS repository?

> > True, but they pare part of other projects also.  Adding a branch
> > takes up space in the branch namespace of the other projects.  If you
> > create a "foo" branch in binutils, then you cannot create a "foo"
> > branch in gdb that reflects a different branch point.
>
> That's true, but no sensible person would use such a tag name.

Sensible people would use, for example, "rh-mips-port" or "csl-arm" or
something similarly generic, and have the same problems.  The fact
that I have chosen a generic name "foo" doesn't mean I expect people
to use the actual name "foo" but serves as a placeholder for *any*
name which might cause such conflicts.

All I'm saying is that people who wish to be sensible need to
understand that whatever branch name they choose will cause a branch
to exist in ALL the src projects if they include common subdirectories
like libiberty.  They need to either plan to take advantage of this,
or plan to avoid the namespace collision issues.