Re: Testsuite for avr-as

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > > a) Figure out how to specify the assembler path, so we can regression
> > >    test a newly built one. (Doesn't seem to be an option in the *.d
> > >    head)
> >
> > No, you don't have to do this, the framework does it for you.
> > What I said should be all that's needed.  Did you change all
> > mmix-* to avr-*?
>
> Nope, I followed the Dec 07 advice, quoted at the top of this email,
> copying only mmix.exp to gas/testsuite/gas/avr/avr.exp, and performing
> the substitution. Was that the right thing to do?

Yes.

> Would you be able to hint how "the framework does it for you"?

All just-built gas are called $objdir/gas/as-new, and since
"make check" is run from $objdir/gas/testsuite, dejagnu doesn't
have to look very far.  Dejagnu knows about the name as-new.

Oh, did you mean checking an *installed* avr-gas, not the one in
objdir/gas?  Ok, that's a different thing.  I'm sure it can be
done, but I haven't looked up the details.  (Assuming you
configured for avr-unknown-elf, it should suffice, but perhaps
it doesn't, to have avr-unknown-elf-gas in your $PATH, and not
having as-new there.  I'm sure patches are welcome. ;-)

> Looking in the Makefile in obj-avr/gas, to find out where config is
> picked up, the "check" target becomes "check-recursive", which doesn't
> seem to be there. So now I'm digging through run_dump_test, since it
> must be revealed that way. (Eventually :-)

That detail isn't very revealing, methinks.  You missed the turn
at the $(RECURSIVE_TARGETS) rule which eventually lands on the
check-DEJAGNU rule, executing "runtest" with parameters.

The executable run from run_dump_test is just through the tcl
variable $AS, setup by the dejagnu framework (see proc find_gas
in dejagnu libgloss.exp -- yes, that file is a bit misnamed).

> > Usually people build in a directory other than where the source
> > is.  Maybe you don't do that and there are issues with running
> > the testsuite in the source directory.
>
> No way! Though I had been getting away with that for several years,
> there has been enough traffic on this topic, on several lists,
> indicating that it is not supported.

It should still work to build, at least for binutils, but
perhaps it's broken for "check".

All I said above I just looked up in the installed dejagnu and
objdir/gas.  There's no magic documentation path.  You would
eventually have found it out.  And I think that way would be
better too.

brgds, H-P