Re: DWARF debug information with GAS

Hi Sonal,

I had built the source code for binutils version 2.15 on Linux. I
assembled an assembly source file with 'as' version 2.15.91 with the
'-gdwarf-2' option. Then I read the output file generated by 'as' using
'readelf' utility of GNU. No dwarf debug information was present in the
output file.

I wanted to know if 'as' (GNU assembler) generates dwarf debug
information when a hand coded assembly file is assembled with 'as' with
'-gdwarf-2' option.

Yes it can, but only for certain target architectures.

If you can supply a test program and tell us which architecture you are using we can investigate further.