Re: as/ld silently creates programs with undefined references/symbols

Hi Russell,

I've tried merging this patch into binutils 2.15, but
elf32_arm_output_symbol_hook doesn't appear to be present in this
version.

True - but this should not affect the rest of the patch. I will generate a version against 2.15 for you next time, after we have resolved the issues below.

The behaviour of binutils 2.15 with this patch, particularly the "nm"
program appears unaffected.  Is this the expected behaviour?

Yes - I had thought that the problem was with the error messages from the linker which were referring to these mapping symbols. Hence I intercepted the problem where the BFD library converts an address into a nearest equivalent symbol. nm does not perform this kind of conversion so it will not be affected by the patch.

If yes, can we please have a patch which prevents these mapping symbols
escaping into such programs output?

The Linux kernel is an example of a build system which parses the output
from "nm" in order to build an internal symbol table.

If the build system parses the output of nm why does it not just locate and discard the mapping symbols ? [I realise that this is the wrong way to solve the problem, but surely it would work as a workaround].

Anyway I am looking in to how I can stop nm from displaying the mapping symbols. There will presumably be a command line switch involved somewhere so that the symbols can be displayed if the user so wishes, but I have yet to decide exactly what form this switch will take.