DWARF debug information with GAS

Hi all,

I wanted to know if GNU assembler generates DWARF 2.0 debug information
in the output file.

I am using GNU assembler version 2.8 for TX19 architecture.

When I assemble a hand-coded assembly file with GNU assembler with
-gdwarf-2 command line option, no debug information is produced in the
output file.

However, when I compile a C source file with GCC with -gdwarf-2 option,
all the DWARF sections are present in the assembly file.

Is there any assembly level debug information generated by GNU assembler
in DWARF 2.0 format?

Thank you,
Sonal Sharma