RE: GAS

No universal assembly language format. But it should not be difficult
to adapt to syntaxes once you learn one format. Intel one is probably
simpler so you can start with that.

This maybe a good links to start with if you are programming on Linux.
http://linuxassembly.org/
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Assembly-HOWTO/

Regards,
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity;
and i am not sure about the former"
					-Albert Einstein
Arun Vishwanathan