Re: gas on Mac OS X

Martin Schaffner wrote:

I started to port the GNU assembler to the powerpc-apple-darwin* target, with a lot of help from Aurelien Chanudet (he coded probably more than half of everything so far).

Cool!

* mach-o-reloc.c adds (incomplete) support for mach-o relocations to bfd. Put into src/bfd/. I'm not sure this file is really necessary, or if the contained functionality belongs into a different file. Please don't put it into cvs.

Nothing can go into CVS anyway until the FSF has accepted your
copyright paperwork. Since it sometimes happens that the FSF can't
ever get the clear right to use someone's code, we'll want to go
slow on the patching work until all the paperwork is done.

* Indirect symbols. Mach-O supports so called "indirect symbols", which are something different than the indirect symbols of ELF. Is there a terminology to distinguish these two concepts? Maybe in gcc? We could call the ones in Mach-o "mach-o-indirect symbols"...
Anyway, to support these there has to be an interface between bfd and gas. This design has to be carefully thought out. Maybe someone can help me.

The similarities are greatest with the indirect symbols of extended
a.out and the weak defined symbols of ELF; the Mach-O symbols are
mainly used to help with stub patching in the dynamic linker.

For the GPL'd code, didn't Apple file a copyright assigment to the FSF?

Yes, several years ago.

Stan