Re: darwin host?

Alan Modra wrote:

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:34:42PM -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:

Apple's policy, as I understand it, is to work with the free software
community. In practice, as with just about every other vendor I know
of who works with GNU, there will be some differences with FSF versions.
We don't like having differences, for the purely selfish reason that
they make it harder to merge in new FSF sources. On the other hand, if
our users need a change that the rest of the GNU developers don't want
to include, or if it would take more time and effort than we can afford
in order to get a change acceptable for FSF, we're going to keep the
change anyway.

I'm not aware that anyone from Apple has even attempted to contribute all the binutils changes necessary for a working Darwin toolchain.

Klee put in the the BFD support in 2002, in fact the ChangeLog even
lists you as helping with it. :-) The binutils proper we don't use
ourselves (we have a parallel set called the "cctools" that also has
dynamic linker and other things), so it just hasn't been a priority to
do much about any local changes our binutils might have. And I'm pretty
sure nobody wants our patches to gas 1.38!

Stan