Re: AVR: How to locate libbfd to build AVR tool

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 11:59:33PM -0500, Bill wrote:
> I have found that if I "make install_libbfd" from the binutil's bfd
> build directory, libbfd and bfd.h will be installed in the --prefix
> directory structure, but I still don't understand how to write my GNU
> auto-tools scripts to discover where libbfd.a and bfd.h are located. I

libbfd is a rather special library, as it is both host and target
dependent.  By that I mean that libbfd contains code for the host to
support a particular set of targets, which may or may not include the
host target.

We used to always install libbfd to $prefix/lib, but that is obviously
wrong if you are building cross-tools.  You don't want to overwrite
your native libbfd in $prefix/lib with one for another target.  So
by default we don't install libbfd unless configuring with the same host
and target, or when configuring with --enable-shared.  You can override
this behaviour by configuring with --enable-install-libbfd.

The install location is $exec_prefix/$host/$target/lib when host is
different from target.  exec_prefix is normally the same as the prefix
you give configure.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre