Re: FW: Re: Why is my executabel in DOS file format?

DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com> writes:

> > However, this should be fixed - its clearly not following the spec.
> > /cr/lf/null  != /r/n
>
> Ok, then, what is it?  CR = carriage return = '\r' in C, LF = line
> feed = '\n' in C (at least in binary mode, which bfd uses).  The only
> change it seems you're proposing is adding a NUL byte after each LF.
> (but NULL is not the same as NUL).

Of course, that doesn't make much sense in context, since dos2unix
wouldn't fix add a NUL character.

I think the only reasonable way to interpret that suggestion is that
each line should end in exactly one of

    CR (ASCII 13)
    LR (ASCII 10)
    NULL (presumably ASCII 0)

Are you sure /n = is turing into a line feed ? I don't think it is, thus I wouldn't need to run DOS2UNIX. I just tried it with the HEX values and /n etc. I found /n on my linux box is a CR and LF.
Thus explaining the problem with the tools is that there is really a /CR/CR/LF due to your /r. I will get back to you on the success of the change you suggested, they are compiling...

I will get the spec in a place where you all can access it then since this seems to be the problem that you guys don't have the spec. Or I will post it here since it isn't that large.

Of course that would not generate a normal text file on DOS.  That
sounds like a change which would break backward compatibility in a bad
way.

An alternative, which would also not follow the suggested spec, would
be to generate S-records as a text file appropriate for the particular
host.  Of course, that would be a pain in other ways, since BFD
currently always generate binary files.

Ian, I am not sure why you keep replying saying it is not a text file when I have QUOTED right out of the SPEC it is a text file - ASCII READABLE!

I can take a TEXT editor and TYPE IN the SREC using VI, and this works completely fine.

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca