i18n in strings program

Hi,

I was wondering why don't you use the normal isprint() function from ctype.h, but instead use ISPRINT macro found in safe-ctype.h which doesn't support localization.

Especially in .mo files there are strings containing non-ascii characters (not in the range 0-127).

I read some old messages and I understand that:
- it's a good idea to use C locale in assembler identifier names
- switching between different locales in a program is slow and error prone, hence the use of safe-ctype.h.
But do we have the same problem in strings as well? Is some other program depending on that strings only uses C locale?

Isn't it enough in gas to set LC_CTYPE to C or POSIX and let other locales be defined by the environment? Then there wouldn't be problems with identifier names, and localized error messages, for example, could still be used.

Jarkko