Re: -pie broken on ppc32

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 04:07:06PM -0800, Geoff Keating wrote:
> Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> writes:
> [about undefined weak syms]
> > Should ld in this case (on all arches) just skip the dynamic relocation
> > and store 0?
>
> I believe that the right thing to do is to create the dynamic
> relocation.  ld should assume that an undefined weak symbol is
> actually defined in a shared library.

I think so too, but this is a gray area.  The handling of weak symbols
isn't fully defined in the gABI ELF spec, so you could make a case for
all undefined weaks being resolved to zero at link time.  In any case,
we ought to be consistent in our handling of undefined weaks.  Since
we currently make them dynamic in other cases, I think we should here
too.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre