RE: linker relocation of debug information

> > Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that a developer was locked
> into
> > using binutils 2.12.1 and gdb 5.2.1 for an upcoming release.  Let's also
> say
> > that this developer is unable to step into shared object because the
> debug
> > sections aren't relocated.  What would you suggest as a solution?
>
> I don't know, are you allowed to change the tools at all?

I'm permitted to make one-off changes for our next release.  In subsequent
releases we hope to be using stock, current binutils.  That's assuming I can
actually find enough time to work on our mips support without being
interrupted for random utility bugs and runtime licensing problems.

> If you can change the tools, I would try changing the binutils to
> relocate debug information.  I don't know if it will help, but it's
> probably worth a try.

That was my plan.  I just need to figure out how to do that.