Re: [wip:binutils] Large corefile support

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com> writes:

> > But Andrew's original bug report was that BFD couldn't handle core
> > files greater than 2G on the i386.  For that target, bfd_vma can be 32
> > bits.  Yet 64-bit file I/O is apparently required.
>
> Probably because off_t is a signed 32 bit quantity, in case anyone is
> as confused as I was by this problem.

Well, BFD uses stdio, so I think the relevant issue here is that fseek
takes a long argument and ftell returns a long argument.  Both
actually could use unsigned long, except that ftell returns -1 as an
error indication.  But historically they use long, and no doubt there
is code somewhere in the library which checks whether they are
negative.

Ian