Re: Gas vs irregular files

Hi Etienne,

>   Not speaking about Gas, but still in binutils,
>  once I did:
> objdump -D -m i8086 -b binary /dev/hda | less
>  And it did not work because /dev/hda is not a file.
>  I do not know if it has been fixed,

It has not been fixed.

I am not at all convinced of the usefulness of being able to do
something like this.  Objdump is intended to be a tool to help display
the contents of binary files.  It is not supposed to be able to
interpret block devices, or directories, or any of the other kinds of
special files that you can get.

Since you have already pointed out a workaround for the lack of this
feature (copying the device contents into an ordinary file) is there
really any need to change objdump ?