Re: Getting the character out of the .irpc directive

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

>mccoards@netscape.net writes:
>
>> In as version 2.9.1 I get the error message "Error: unexpected end of file  in irp or irpc" when trying to use the .irpc directive/macro to generate a character value. Is there a work around to calculate the caracter value in the repeat character directive?  Actually I really just want val = "cat" since "cat" will fit in a 4-byte wide integer.
>>
>>   .set val,0
>>   .irpc arg,cat
>>     .set val,val<<8
>>     .set val,val+'\arg'
>>   .endr
>
>The single quote character in assembler input doesn't mean what you
>think it does.
>
>http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/docs-2.12/as.info/Chars.html#Chars
>
>I don't really understand what you are trying to do.
>
>Ian

I want to set a variable equal to a small string (no more that 4 chars).  For the m68k I would like to be able to do this:

 .set item,"ABCD"
 dc.l foo

I know that I could use the .string directive, but I am more interested in setting the variable "item" to a small string.

I thought that I could do this with a macro using the irpc directive, but it appears that the character substitution is a lower priority then the single quote chararacter. A simpler example would be:

  .irpc arg,c
     .set item,'\arg
  .endr

I would have thought that the irpc argument substitution would have been made first so that irpc would generate .set item,'c , but this doesnt work and I cant find a work around.

Thanks
Bart

New! Unlimited Access from the Netscape Internet Service.
Beta test the new Netscape Internet Service for only $1.00 per month until 3/1/04.
Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.