Re: Feature for objdump or another binutil binary....

> The whole point of my email is that I find it cumbersome to have to
> do a 'objdump -d' and potentially waste space with a big text file

You should use pipes then.

objdump -d foo.x | egrep 'ld.*\$[0-3][^0-9]'

> It would be nice to be able to specify the instruction and perhaps
> the section or sections to look in and have it search that way.

There are so many ways to search, and so many existing tools that
search different ways, and so many types of syntax that the different
binutils targets use, that it would not be practical to attempt to put
such capabilities in the binutils themselves.