Re: [RFA] ARM OABI - pc-relative relocations

Richard Earnshaw (rearnsha@arm.com):

> BTW I think you must have an out of date document.... In ARM ELF (SWS ESPC
> 0003 B-02), which was the final draft, the text is now in section 4.5

OK, thank you. I consulted it from
http://www.arm.com/documentation/Software_Development_Tools/index.html.
The version provided on the page is not up to date anymore.

> In the "ABI for the ARM Architecture" (http://www.arm.com/products/DevTools
> /ABI.html), we've gone back to the current ELF specs and taken a much more
> traditional approach, so now the REL and RELA addends follow the current
> rules.  This introduces a further benefit for RELA type relocations:
> idempotency -- you can reapply the relocation and you should get the same
> result.  This allows, for example, images to be re-positioned after
> linking if they preserve their relocations in RELA form.

Ouch! That is perfectly reasonable, but I have a problem. I am
targetting VxWorks 5.5 on ARM. WRS' tools uses RELA, with the old ABI
definition... And I am interested in making a the GNU tools and WRS
tools compatible.

Would it make sense to add a new target in the binutils to support
this configuration?

--
Jerome