Inability to use divide symbol in gas

I've run into a problem trying to use the division symbol (/) in expressions
in my assembler files.

Looking back through the mail archive it seems to be a long-standing, known
problem with the i386 version of the assembler. Apparently, the / symbol is
defined as a comment character, which makes it impossible to use it for
division.

Are there any plans to fix this problem, or do we have to live with it?

Is there a commonly accepted work-around? For example, can the preprocessor
be
turned off around that section of source, or is there a configure option
which
allows a version of gas to be built that does not use / for comments?

Cheers,
Ian.

For those that are interested, here's a short source file which demonstrates
the problem. It fails on the assignment to symbol4, complaining that there
is a missing ')'

symbol1 = 20
symbol2 = 10

symbol3 = (symbol1 * symbol2)
symbol4 = (symbol1 / symbol2)

leviathan{ihamilto}~/development/runtime/pre.40.1/Target/TitanCode/Utils>/ho
me/tools/gnu/i386-elf/bin/i386-elf-as -o test.o test.s
test.s: Assembler messages:
test.s:5: Error: missing ')'