objcopy renaming dynamic symbols

I am trying to rename symbol names of shared object.
Obviously objcopy only works for static symbols. Are
there any new developments related to this topic.
Otherwise what are the problems with implementing this
feature ... I would like to do it and contribute, but
just give me a hint if you know a reason this cannot
be done so that I don't waste time on research.
Regards,
Vladimir.