Re: A gdb+bfd string pool?

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:15:39 -0500, Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com> said:

> Should/could BFD export a string pool that GDB could use and then
> use that for any slurped symbol names?

Personally, I'd be against this unless we have reason to believe that
it's an important optimization.  I don't like global data in general,
even if it's only global to one component of a program, and having
that data shared by both GDB and BFD makes me even more nervous.
(Singleton is not my favorite design pattern.)  So it sets of warning
bells for general design reasons; our lack of const-correctness when
dealing with names makes me even more nervous.

David Carlton
carlton@kealia.com