Re: 386PE ld/strip - Import Library stripping, issues during autoimport & specific imports

Hi Ivan,k Warren" <ivan@vmfacility.fr> writes:

> Note : This is an issue with the 386 PE linker/stripper. My tests
> are done using "cygwin". This message has also been posted to the
> cygwin list as it may be a cygwin issue rather than a binutils core
> issue.

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you on this issue.  I
have been away on vacation for the last few weeks and then clearing my
email queue after I got back took rather a long time...

> If I issue a 'strip --strip-unneeded' to a DLL import library (created with
> --out-implib), Most .data and/or .bss external references generate linking
> errors.
>
> Furthermore, if I specify a __declspec(dllimport) to the reference *AND* the
> symbol is referenced by a DLL itself, the application raises SIGSEGV upon
> attempting to access the symbol.

Can you check to see if this problem still occurs using the latest GCC
and BINUTILS sources ?  I tried using updated sources from the CVS
repositories and could not reproduce the problem.  (Well I could not
reproduce the failure-to-link problem.  I do not currently have easy
access to a Cygwin system so I could not check the binary-does-not-run
problem.  I am attaching a compressed copy of the linked binary for
you to try out.  Can you tell me if it runs ?)

> I am not sure binary attachments are allowed on this list,

They are - provided that they are not too big.  Otherwise making them
available for download via FTP or HTTP is always permissible.