Re: FreeBSD 4.6 - binutils 2.14 installs useless libbfd

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, John Levon wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 09:46:57AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
> > There are very few users of BFD other than the GNU binutils and gdb.
> > It's not unreasonable to force other users to either distribute their
> > own shared libbfd, or to link statically.
>
> Actually I think it is a little unreasonable. Surely you can't agree
> that it's really sensible policy for every project needing basic
> functionality to carry around their own Mb's of source (this would dwarf
> the actual code we interface to libbfd with !). Not least because it
> means we can't take advantage of any platform-local changes made to the
> distributed libbfd.

MB's aren't so important in case including in project source tree source
code some library avalaible as standalone tar ball. More importand from
developer point of view and/or longer period conservation of any software
are things like much better bugs poof in case using _always_ system
avalaible library.

In case libbfd which isn't avalable as standalone tar ball it will mean
for example in case finding some importand bug fixig any instances of this
source tree in any other project.

Also probalbly API stabilisation libbfd on separation this in longer
period also probably will be easier (IMHO) (?).

[..]
> If you want to force it, stop installing libbfd. Though you'll just
> find all the Linux distributions at least backing out that change ...

$ rpm -ql binutils | grep /usr/bin | xargs ldd | grep libbfd | wc -l
     12

Not so easy because binutils executables uses libbfd.
In case static linking and not using shared libbfd it will probably mean
.. measureable change compilation time on developers systems :_)

kloczek
*Ludzie nie mają problemów, tylko sobie sami je stwarzają*
Tomasz Kłoczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: kloczek@rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl*