Re: PATCH: Add archive support to ELF

DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> writes:

> > As we move to an ELF-only world,
>
> Um, excuse me?  Windows and DJGPP are COFF and will probably stay COFF
> forever.  I hope nobody thinks it's a good idea to drop support for
> file formats other than ELF.

I've been saying for a while now that I think it would make sense to
write a separate set of binutils/assembler/linker for ELF only.  In
fact, I gather that some people are already working on that.

Naturally the existing BFD based binutils would still exist.  But I
think it would be appropriate for maintenance for specific targets
like Windows to be taken over by groups focused on those targets.
There is relatively little binutils work these days which is
beneficial for both Windows/DJGPP users and ELF users.  About the only
such work which comes to mind is additions to the x86 opcode table;
that could be shared easily enough between projects.

Not that any of this is likely to happen.

Ian