Re: PATCH: add PGI (SGS Thomson) DWARF extensions to readelf

Hi James,

> Here's a patch which adds some PGI DWARF extensions to readelf.
>
> I hope it's small and obvious enough not to need a copyright
> assignment

Normally I would say that this patch does need a copyright assignment,
since it is adding a new feature - the ability to decode PGI
extensions to DWARF2 to the readelf tool.  I might consider it to be
"obvious" if it could be described in a single, simple sentence, but
without documentation of the extensions I do not think that this can
be done.

: Doug Evans <dje@transmeta.com> writes:
:
: I think the patch should include a reference to some documentation
: about the extensions.

I am sorry, but I agree with Doug on this one.  Without some
non-proprietary documentation to verify the numbers and meanings of
the PGI extensions we cannot really accept the patch.  If you can
point us at such documentation, then I would be happy to reconsider the
patch.  Alternatively if you would care to obtain an FSF copyright
assignment, and then resubmit the patch, we will reconsider it then.