Port to binutils without assembler

Hello,

I'm a member of  a  team at National Semiconductor, which develops
and supports a developement toolset for National Semiconductor's
CompactRISC CPUs. The compiler, linker and debugger are a gnu based
port (currently for CR16C).

We are planning to begin the process of submitting the port -
initially to binutils - and we have a preliminary question:
can we submit to binutils w/o the assembler ? This is because the
assembler is currently not ported to gnu. We would be willing to
assign the assembler's (proprietary) source code to the FSF under
GPL, if this were to help. Note that this assembler interfaces
correctly with the ported gcc and ld.

Thanks,
Galit Heller