Re: RFC: using ld 2.14 on irix

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 10:37:35AM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> The last time I spoke to you about this, I got the impression that the
> only problem you'd found was the one we solved by switching relocs
> against local symbols to be against symbol 0.  Now are you saying that
> you found this problem with global symbols too?

Just to make the scenario clear, this is the testcase I had extracted and
which essentially is the same as Richard Sandiford's gromit.c.

[ralf@dea tmp]$ cat s.s
        .data
bar:    .word   bar + 0x1234

> And that the versions of binutils and glibc on linux-mips.org are
> binary incompatible with the rest of the world?  Ugh!

There is a spec, there are prior implementations and the ABI authors share
my interpretation.  It couldn't be any clearer where the bug is.  I just
don't have a fix for anything newer than 2.13.x yet.  And thanks to
adjusting the symbol to zero the newer versions produce binaries that will
work for every GNU dynamic linker.

  Ralf